Large enterprises typically have a myriad of business-critical applications that are running in both private data centers and public clouds such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure. One of the biggest challenges of today is enabling seamless connectivity between these applications in a highly distributed IT environment.
An essential component to support this reliable connectivity is message-oriented middleware. In this area, the industry has made major improvements by introducing cloud-native messaging solutions and event streaming platforms. These advancements have led to the introduction of a ‘new’ Event Mesh (1) paradigm.
In this internship, you’ll design and set up an Event Mesh implementation using Apache Pulsar. The setup should enable seamless interoperability between Public Cloud, On-premises and a PaaS environment in a single architecture.
These types of setups are rapidly gaining traction as enterprises are adopting a multi-cloud strategy and need these separate locations to cooperate in a loosely coupled and highly resilient way.
(1) “An event mesh is a dynamic infrastructure that delivers events from producers to consumers via a network of interconnected “event brokers.” Event mesh is environment-agnostic, designed to deliver events across disparate cloud platforms, no matter where the applications are deployed—public, private, and hybrid cloud, PaaS, the Internet-of-Things (IoT), and even no cloud—without the need for configuration of event routing.” – Red hat
In this internship you’ll setup 3 scalable Apache Pulsar clusters:
- A PaaS setup using StreamNative.
- On top of EKS, the Kubernetes service of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- On top of OpenShift, the Kubernetes Platform of Red Hat.
You’ll configure and demonstrate the Event Mesh concept on these clusters. And provide a seamless routing experience between the three different locations.
You’ll code and demonstrate three common use cases requested by our i8c clients:
- Develop and integrate an AWS based serverless application
- Develop and integrate an event streaming & analytics pipeline
- Integrate a 3rd party RabbitMQ PaaS provider using the AMQP protocol
What will you learn
This internship will introduce you to a large set of emerging technologies in today’s IT market:
- Latest messaging and streaming technology: Apache Pulsar
- You will get acquainted with the public cloud technologies:
- Kubernetes & Openshift Container orchestration platforms
- AWS (EKS, Lambda, S3, Amazon API Gateway, Amazon EventBridge)
- You will get introduced to Enterprise Integration, and architectural patterns like microservices, eventing, messaging and API Management.
- Programming will be done in Java
Who should apply?
- You are a final year IT student who is not afraid of a challenge.
- You are an analytic person who is proficient in abstract reasoning.
- You are eager to learn new technologies and have an interest in cloud technologies.
- You are able to work independently.
- You are able to use DevOps principles.